Monday, September 26, 2005

Harmful Dog Food Additives

Many dog food companies will add chemicals to dog food for various reasons. Some are added as preservatives. Ethoxyquin, BHA and BHT are commonly used synthetic preservatives. Ethoxyquin is a pesticide, and yet some companies use it to preserve dog food so that their product will have a longer shelf life. Ethoxyquin, BHA, and BHT are all potentially cancer causing ingredients, and yet they are allowed to be used in dog food. Various natural preservatives, such as Vitamin C and Vitamin E can be used instead and do not create the health issues of the synthetic ingredients.


I let Yoda run free on a 20 foot lead on Sunday. He loved it, and he also wore himself out, which was nice. A tired dog is a much better behaved dog. I will probably let him go for a run tonight as well if it isn't dark when I get home. If not, then I will probably take him for a jog on a heel. That way he will be able to burn off some of his excess energy. I have tomorrow off work, so that I can take Beth to have a test run at the hospital. It will be nice to not work until 6 one night of the week. I will be back at school in a week, and then I will home early a lot more often. It will be good for Yoda because I will be able to spend more time with him.

No comments: